Monday, October 17, 2011

It's So Easy: and other liesIt's So Easy: and other lies by Duff McKagan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Disclaimer - I may be abit biased as Duff has been my not-so-secret rocker crush for 20 years.


Quite simply, if you're looking for a tell-all and airing of dirty Guns N Roses laundry, you need to look elsewhere.  This is the tale of one mans journey that happened to include the greatest rock band of it's time.  It's hard to read - I knew Duff was a drinker but had no idea just how deep into a pit he fell - but it felt really inspirational to me.  This is a guy that was a member of this HUGE band, lived through it's implosion by drinking and doing cocaine, survived a burst pancreas and has come out the other side.


The book made me tear up twice - first when he recounts his reunion with Axl Rose after 13 years and again in the acknowledgments at the end to his daughters.  This is a man that I've spent about 2/3's of my life following and it's wonderful to finally read HIS story, in his own words, knowing that he's in the best place he's ever been.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

So many books, so little time said...

I didn't even realise there was a book like this out. I don't really follow them but like some of their music and would read this if I came across it, thanks for the review

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net