Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Vanishing The Vanishing by Tim Krabbé
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A couple on vacation stop at a petrol station - she heads in to buy drinks and disappears........

8 years later, Rex is still haunted by Saskia's disappearance........

I've had this on my wishlist for a while now but can't for the life of me remember why I out it there - not that I'm disappointed!  This book was originally written in Dutch and titled Het Gouden Ei (The Golden Egg) and I think in translation it loses something.  It's short - 115 pages - but I really really enjoyed it, but I never quite felt that it was as chilling as I thought it should've been.

The beginning - leading up to Saskias disappearance - were really well written and set the scene beautifully, but I then felt abit let down by the jump to 8 years later.  However, I loved the middle of the tale and without spoilers, really engaged with the idea that things (good and bad) happen to us by chance....


View all my reviews

No comments: