Monday, September 12, 2011

Full Dark House (Bryant & May, # 1)Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this up in a bookstore purely based on the cover (not the one pictured above I hasten to add), then when I read the blurb it sounded right up mine and my husbands street.

Well, I'm glad I did.  Young detectives Bryant & May (hehe) are part of the Mets Peculiar Crime Unit and as such investigate the crimes noone else wants or is interested in.  The book begins in the present day when an explosion destroys their offices and kills the now elderly Bryant.  In the process of investigating, May finds himself drawn back to the first case they worked together - a series of unexplained deaths in the Palace Theatre.

The book is told in a dual narrative style which I normally love, but this is where the book lost it's fifth star.  It was sometimes hard to tell at the beginning of each chapter which decade we were in - unless the first sentence mentioned either the Blitz or some modern day tech I found it sometimes took a paragraph or two to work out where I was - which was so frustrating!

In all, a lovely quirky book and I look forward to reading the next in the series.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

lovely treez said...

Mmmm, I'm sorely tempted even though I tend to avoid book series (there's a lot of them about!)and I should really be attending to my TBR challenge which has yet to take off.... ;-) Nice review, Sarah. :-)

SazzyMCH said...

ALthough I said I'm looking forward to reading the next, I'm in no hurry - this worked well as a standalone.