Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1)The Affinity Bridge by George Mann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't think I was going to enjoy this - I'd originally bought it for Chris - so included it on my TBR Challenge for this year.  I'd had an earlier, relatively unsuccessful foray into steampunk so I approached this with some trepidation.....

It's London under Victoria's reign, but ground trains and electric hansom cabs run along the streets, and airships rule the skies.........and a plague like virus is making people zombie like (although for those of you who aren't zombie - or revenants as Mann calls them - don't fear, it's not the dominant story.  I really enjoyed the detective duo - neither of whom are perfect and both have their secrets and darker sides - and I loved the murky and dark setting of a slightly off kilter Victorian London.

I hadn't realised when I started, that this was the first in a series.  A quick internet search revealed that there are two more out there.  So, 2 more for the wishlist, and I'm hoping that the covers are as gorgeous as this one ('cos we all know how important a good cover is!)


View all my reviews

No comments: