Monday, February 21, 2011

Religion......

Wow, it's not like me to talk about anything "serious" on this blog, but I've been thinking alot lately about the differences between the people I know in the UK, and the people I know here.  I think it's safe to say that I know more religious people here than I've ever met in my life........and that's not an exaggeration.

Just about everybody I know goes to church, their kids are actively involved in church youth groups and Sunday School and many of my friends often quote the Bible on Facebook, and others have a biblical quote as their signature in emails.  I'm not afraid to admit that it was abit disconcerting when we first moved here - it's SO different to the life I had before (yes, I lived next door to the Padre, but apart from his family and one over the road.............not a sausage) that I wasn't really sure what to make of it - how crazy is that!

It was only after I was invited to join a bible study group, and the girl who had asked didn't decide I wasn't worthy of talking to after I declined that I realised it really doesn't matter!!!  We all breathe, we all want to have fun and enjoy ourselves, we all want health for our friends and families...........who cares if everyone but us (and the Aussie family, so we're not alone!) goes to church.

BUT.................I have a couple of friends (much older than me) who are EXTREMELY religious (A friend told me recently that they could be described as "religionist" = whereby they are against anyone not of the Christian faith - I love this word!) and I have so far been able to avoid talking about my views with them.  I know on certain subjects we couldn't be further apart in where we stand yet I don't want to get into it with them as it would potentially lead to some unpleasantness and I don't want this.  It led me to think though - why is it seemingly ok for them to proclaim their views and tell stories loud and proud, yet I am keeping quiet..........there has been more than one occasion where I've wanted to tell them what I think (after all, they tell me often enough) but haven't.

Anyway, that's it.  Just some musings from me....................oh, the other thing I've noticed is that anyone in the public eye HAS to be of faith.....politicians, rock stars, athletes etc.  It almost seems the kiss of death if anyone wanting to get anywhere in this country doesn't go to church or talk about their faith.  It just doesn't happen in the UK the way it does here...................and finally - if I feel abit conflicted about dealing with certain people over this subject, is it any wonder that religion is the main cause of most conflicts and wars around the world and throughout time?

7 comments:

Dizzy C said...

Thought provoking post.

Surely it is all about respecting each other's views and beliefs and those people who will not talk to folks who do not go to church are themselves not very Christian.

I do not attend church regular but do have beliefs and respect the fact that others do attend more often. Surely they should respect those of us the same way.

carol

lovely treez said...

Oh, Sarah, only in America!! ;-)
I love that word "religionist" - will try to use it at every opportunity... We do attend church regularly but more as part of a community thing than adhering to everything the Catholic church stands for - they have been a bit less vocal in recent years for one reason or another!! So let he who is without sin cast the first stone..It isn't individuals who cause the problems just these religious cliques who have a hierarchy of who gets to heaven first.. It must be fascinating (at first..) to meet such fundamentalists/religionists at close quarters (a bit like studying apes..) but yes, it must be extremely frustrating to have to hold your counsel. I would advise keeping quiet as such folk do not listen to reasoned argument so it would be a waste of your breath - save it for the gym and you can take it out on your hula hoop! :-) Tx

SazzyMCH said...

It is a great word isn't it! And never has the phrase "only in America" been more apt..........!

Saucy said...

It's so true and something I also noticed since I moved over here. I also noticed that friends ofr all faiths over here are more open to talk about it and discuss it than those back in the UK. I have learned some very interesting facts from some new friends of the Jewish faith, a faith I had never been exposed to in any way back in the UK. Xx

Saucy said...

and ps have you seen the news about the "religious" (and I put it in inverted commas on purpose) who go and stand outside the funerals of dead American service men with signs that say things like "Thank God for dead Soldiers". There is a judgement today due from the Supreme court about whether this is free speech or incitement. Interested to see the outcomne of this case. Xx

Mrs Mac said...

Sarah - Mrs Mac here! I respect everyone's own view on religion, although I am an atheist myself, and there are several reasons for that which do not need airing here! However, respecting everyone's views does not mean discounting the views of all the others if you are a Christian, so I respect and listen to the views of Jews, Bhuddists, Seiks, Muslims et al. An old friend of mine is a Jehovah's Witness. Love her dearly, she knows my feelings, and does not try to make me join her church. My respect is for anyone who does a good thing or two for others with or without the backing of a church of any kind or their god.

Lisa said...

I know what you mean. I have family in Michigan and lots of friends in Texas (Palestine & Fort Worth). They are often quoting the bible in their quotes and sometimes I feel it is too much and I want to comment and say "No, God is not in my life today" but feel I would insult them. I agree we should live and let live, but I do hate being preached to sometimes.
Good post.