Friday, January 28, 2011

Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín

Eilis Lacey has come of age in small-town Ireland in the years following World War Two. Though skilled at bookkeeping, she cannot find a job in the miserable Irish economy. When an Irish priest from Brooklyn to sponsor Eilis in America -- to live and work in a Brooklyn neighborhood "just like Ireland" -- she decides she must go, leaving her fragile mother and her charismatic sister behind.


BrooklynBrooklyn by Colm Tóibín
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really really enjoyed this.  I opened it thinking it was going to be a tale of one girls awful experience in the move to a foreign country and filled with tales of how the awful Americans treated her.  So, what a pleasant surprise to find that Eilis was treated well, her job wasn't horrendous and she had a comfortable (if abit socially uncomfortable!) place to live.

I liked Eilis and really felt for her when news came from home and was abit surprised with the ending.  I wasn't sure how I felt about her decision at the end when I first read it, but 7 hours later I think it was the right one.

I shall be looking out for more of Toibins work.


View all my reviews


So, this is book No7 of my challenge to read 100 this year.......I should get one more done before the month is finished so I´m really pleased with the start to the year!

3 comments:

Dizzy C said...

I really enjoyed Brooklyn too.

I have his recent novel The Empty Family -collection of short stories

enjoy ur weekend

carol

lovely treez said...

His other books are VERY different tone to Brooklyn, Sarah but none the worse for that! I enjoyed The Empty Family although short stories don't really hit the spot for me, something lacking...

Linda/CT said...

I read The Master by Toibin and had the ultimate pleasure of being in his company and discussing the book with a group of avid readers. It was in New Haven, CT & a highlight for me. I loved the book too. Not so much Brooklyn tho'. LInda/CT